Saturday, January 27, 2007

My ornament...that's not going to be an ornament =)


First off...thank you so much for getting me back into the loop Nicki....being "expired" is no fun =). I finished this ornament from the Christmas Sentiments Volume 1 by Blue Ribbons Designs last weekend. I chose 32 count linen and it's stitched with Gentle Art Threads.
What I didn't realize, until after I'd stitched the flowers in the middle and part of the border, were the numbers and letters are all stitched over one. Yikes!!! I've stitched over one on evenweave and aida before, but not linen. You know how linen has it's little "nubs" (for lack of a better word). I ended up doing a lot of frogging and being frustrated with this one.
What I thought would be a quick piece ended up taking me a week and a lot of frustration. After thinking about all the work I've decided it's too special to hang on a tree once a year, so I'm going to have it framed instead and put where I can see it everyday. Sooooo....that's how my first ornament turned out not to be an ornament. Maybe I'll get two stitched next month...and, I'll be sure to read the instructions before I start stitching it. =)
Had it not been for this SAL group I think it would have been something I would have started and then put down because it was so frustrating. Thanks for the inspiration.
Pennie


11 comments:

Irene said...

I think this will look great framed and hanging all year.

Carolyn said...

What a beautiful piece..it will look great framed I am sure of it.Can't wait to see the next one:)

Melissa said...

Very nice, Pennie! Belinda's designs are great. :)

Anonymous said...

Pennie, you did a great job! I think framing it is a lovely idea.

cathymk said...

It's wonderful Pennie! Just lovely - will you show us when it is framed?

Unknown said...

Pennie, it's beautiful, no matter how you finish it.

Anita said...

All her christmas ornament designs, part of them are stitching one over one. I did one in December. But it is so pretty that it worth all the frogging.

glamlawlib said...

This will be really nice all year round.

Chelle said...

You did a beautiful job, Pennie! I don't blame you for framing it.

Anonymous said...

BEAUTIFUL!!! wow! very inspirational :)

Dani - tkdchick said...

Congratulations on finding the preserverance and indominable spirit to finish this one!